The HX-3: Portable, Battery-Powered Headphone Distribution Amplifier
The compact HX-3 Headphone Distribution Amplifier is the perfect accessory to quickly provide three high-performance stereo headphone feeds with individual level controls from line-level sources. The HX-3 can produce very high headphone levels with extremely low noise and distortion.
HX-3 Key Features
Great for radio, television, film, and music production applications, the battery-powered HX-3 accepts balanced XLR line-level inputs or unbalanced 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch stereo inputs. Its 1/4-inch loop-out can connect multiple HX-3's for additional headphone outputs. Headphones are connected to panel-mounted 1/4-inch stereo connectors.
The HX-3 has a durable aluminum chassis to withstand the punishment of field and studio environments. The unit is powered by inexpensive batteries (two-AA) or external 5-18 VDC.
The HX-3 can add headphone outputs to the 552, 302, MixPre-D, MM-1, and USBPre-2.
HX-3 Key Features List
- Three isolated headphone outputs with individual volume controls.
- 125 dB dynamic range with flat frequency response.
- Durable 1/4-inch connectors, panel mounted for strength.
- Stereo or mono monitoring.
- Peak LED indicates headphone overload.
- Two balanced XLR line level inputs or unbalanced 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch stereo inputs.
- Loop Output to connect additional HX-3's in series.
- All-metal connectors solidly mounted to the chassis for durability and RF immunity.
- Free from "Pin-1" grounding problems.
- Internal battery-power for up to 18 hours from two AA alkaline batteries.
- Chassis-isolated 5 to 18 VDC input for easy external DC powering.
- Power LED indicates low battery power.
- High strength, extruded aluminum chassis with protective metal end panels.
- 10 Hz ― 50 kHz, -±1.0 dB, any input to any output, gain controls set to 50%
- 34 dB from balanced line to headphone output, 35 dB from headphone input to headphone output
Output Clipping Level
- +18 dBu minimum with 600 ohm load, +16 dBu minimum with 300 ohm load
Headphone Output Impedance
Input Clipping Level
- XLR: +24 dBu minimum
- 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch inputs: +22 dBu minimum
Dynamic Range (balanced line inputs)
THD + Noise
- 0.03% maximum (from 10 Hz to 22 kHz @ +10 dBu input and output level, 300 ohm load, 10 Hz ― 22 kHz filter bandwidth)
- XLR: electronically balanced, 22k ohm input impedance, 1/4-inch unbalanced: 9.1k ohm impedance
- 1/8-inch unbalanced: 9.1k ohm impedance.
Internal Voltage Rails
- Internal: 2 AA alkaline batteries, 18 hours life typical with nominal levels. External: 5 ― 17 VDC via threaded coaxial connector (5.5 mm outer diameter, 2.1 mm inner diameter), pin positive, sleeve negative.
- Green indicates power and good battery. Red indicates power with low batteries. LED turns red when ~ 4 hours of battery life remain.
Operating Temperature Range
- 0 to 70 degrees C
- 32 to 160 degrees F
- 43 mm x 94 mm x 140 mm (h x w x d) (1.7" x 3.7" x 5.5")
Weight (unit only)
- 1/4-inch to 1/8-inch trs interconnect cable, rubber feet (4), locking DC jack